Whether you are a homeowner that’s invested in air conditioning (AC) for your own comfort, or a business owner looking to improve comfortability for staff and customers, you’ll want to make sure that your investment is worthwhile long term.
With air conditioning units generally starting from £995, failure to properly maintain your AC can result in premature breakdown or underperformance, both of which can cost you money in repairs or complete replacement of the system.
Fortunately, modern air conditioning units are extremely reliable by design and with routine professional servicing and knowing how to take care of the unit, your AC will continue to work for years to come.
To help you, we’ve developed a list of ways you can extend the lifespan of your AC unit and ensure your investment pays off.
Ways to Make Your AC Last Longer
Following these tips will help you get the most out of your air conditioning unit and keep it running smoothly.
- Regular Servicing – Having your AC unit serviced annually by a professional is the most effective way of extending its lifespan. Regular servicing ensures that your AC is running as efficiently as possible and helps to identify any potential issues before they become major problems. Note, if using all year round for heating as well as cooling 6 monthly servicing is recommended.
- Don’t Ignore Problems – If you’ve noticed issues with your AC such as unusual noises, bad odours or water leaks, be sure to call an engineer to inspect the unit as soon as possible. Ignoring the problem is likely to result in even more serious (and expensive) failures developing. For more information, take a look at our blog post on 6 signs your air conditioning needs a repair.
- Switch the AC Off When Not In Use – Switching your AC off when not in use can help to extend its lifespan. Furthermore, as with any appliance, only switching the AC on when you need to use it will help to save money on your energy bills.
- Clean the Unit – Blockages caused by a build up of debris are one of the most common reasons AC units break down. If you notice a build of debris in the unit and do not have a service coming up, remove this to ensure the air can flow freely.
- Inspect the Unit – In addition to servicing, you can make your AC unit last longer by regularly inspecting for problems and any signs of wear and tear.
- Use a Professional – AC units are complex and any in depth inspections and repair should only be carried out by a professional who knows what they are doing. Attempting to fix a faulty AC unit without the proper knowledge and tools may cause more damage and furthermore, could void any manufacturer warranty you have.
- Run the AC Regularly – Much like a car’s air conditioning unit, running your AC regularly can help to ensure it continues to perform all year round.
What To Do If Your AC Breaks Down
Air conditioning breakdowns can be extremely disruptive, especially on the hottest days of the year when you need cold air the most.
In the event that your air conditioning unit breaks down, it’s best to call a professional company immediately to investigate the issue.
With more information about the manufacturer and model, the type of unit and the issue you are experiencing, an AC engineer will be able to advise on the best course of action to get your unit up and running again.
Depending on the severity of the issue and the age of your unit, it can sometimes be more economical to upgrade the AC to a modern unit; allowing you to benefit from A+++ efficiency which will pay for itself over time.
Additionally, modern AC units have a number of features such as being able to provide both hot and cold air, extremely quiet operating noise, air purifying technology and more.
What is the average lifespan of an AC unit?
AC units typically have a lifespan of 15-20 years. However, this can vary depending on the make and model, as well as how well it is maintained. Servicing your AC unit regularly will help extend its life and keep it running efficiently.
How often should I have my AC unit serviced?
It’s generally recommended to have your AC unit serviced once a year, before the start of the cooling season. This will help ensure it’s in good working order and ready to keep you cool all summer long.
Keep Your AC Running for Longer
At Bristol Air Con, we help homes, businesses and other commercial premises keep their AC units running efficiently for years to come through professional air conditioning servicing and repairs.
Working with the best names in the business, we can also recommend and install the best air conditioning unit based on your individual requirements and budget.
For more information, give us a call today on 0117 964 0078, email firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the form below and one of our team will get back to you.